Doiran ecosystem as a part of Natura 2000 (GR 123 0003) protected areas is located in the border between Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia, and constitutes a rich and invaluable area for the wetland in terms of natural beauty and developmental perspective.
Local and peripheral organizations have been closely working together for years as the lake requires close and structured collaboration in order to effectively face and address common problems and challenges such as:
- Taking measures for the vital protection of the ecosystem
- The lack of a strategic plan and stable mechanism for managing the ecosystem has caused serious problems as:
a) physical and chemical water elements are only periodically checked by third parties
b) Risk management is not organized and proactive process
c) The collaboration between the two countries becomes difficult and ineffective.
- Taking measures for the compliance of Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia to the European law in order to conform to the conditions and entry processes to the EU.
- The co-management of the lake so far is based in incomplete and nonrecurring actions
- The protection and management plan of the lake should be based on mutual values and principles adopted by local associations
- There is no technical infrastructure for the protection, management, and development of the ecosystem
- The exploitation of natural resources can contribute to a great extent to the local development attracting more visitors and enhancing agricultural (traditional products) and cultural inheritance.
The project consists of three main parts, providing innovative solutions & suggestions to the common problems:
1.) It constitutes an integrated plan based on:
a) The development of a strategic plan and management system related to the environmental and socio-economic aspects of the ecosystem for the first time.
b) Infrastructure development needing statutory efficiency and a shared mechanism for ecosystem management
c) Infrastructure development related to environmental landscape and the exploitation of technology equipment for the protection and the preservation of the ecosystem.
d) The implementation of an action plan regarding awareness and training in order to involve entrepreneurs, citizens and young people in an eco-friendly culture and agricultural practices
2. It ensures statutory and financial sustainability even after the end of the project funding as all the necessary conditions are fulfilled through permanent management mechanisms at a very low cost.
3. It has a foreign orientation enhancing cross-border collaborations and co-management mechanisms.
The main objectives are related to:
a) The organizations-associations- comprising the most important statutory parties in the implementation of environmental protection strategies and biodiversity as well as sustainable development;
Those will adopt a new, mutual and organized framework, structures and infrastructures defining stable collaboration principles to enhance environmental and socioeconomic competitiveness in the specific area.
b) The residents of the cross-border and the greater area will benefit from the project in a short and in a long-term.
c) The farmers and entrepreneurs will develop new sustainable activities supporting an eco-friendly culture, exploiting the natural resources and the opportunities that the area offers.
d) The young people that will be trained on environmental and awareness’ issues so encouraging a more responsible future generation.